Maddy's Rant

Vacuous, vivid, vivacious, aphrodisiac, simulating, rapid, ravenous

Name:
Location: Bellevue, WA, United States

Come and sit with me my friend, I promise to show you the world beyond your wildest imagination.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Absurdity Vs. Copyright Infringement Complaint

I had an online collection of publicly available papers as one of my blog posting which I lifted from some website (I don't even remember the site's name). Since the collection was complete, I thought it would help me drastically in doctoral studies. To aggravate my pain, none of the papers were copyright protected and the collection only had links to other web sources only. Alas, some stupid yet selfish guy complained and the post was forcibly removed from my blog without my knowledge (as I was out on an internship).
I, certainly agree that blogspot personnel can't verify validity of all individual complaints. But, at the same time some efforts towards verifying the same should be actively pursued. Such inappropriate complaints piss me off and provoke me to run my own blog in my own internal webserver. Anyways the evil complainer got away with it just because I am a poor grad student who doesn't have neither time nor resource at his disposal.


From: "Blogger Support"
To: removedittoavoid@spamming.com
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 14:54:29 -0700
Subject: [#242798] Notice of Copyright Infringement

Hello,

My name's Robin and I work here at Blogger. We've received a complaint
that content in your blog:

maddybe.blogspot.com

infringes upon the copyrights of others. The content in question is
located on the following URL (post dated 6/7/05):

http://maddybe.blogspot.com/2005/06/intrusion-forensics-readings.html

The notice that we received, with any personally identifying
information removed, will be posted online by a service called Chilling
Effects and we will send you the link of this notice. We do this in
accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

The DMCA is a United States copyright law that provides guidelines for
online service provider liability in case of copyright infringement.
Please see http://www.educause.edu/issues/dmca.html for more information
about the DMCA, and see http://www.google.com/dmca.html for the process
that Blogger requires in order to make a DMCA complaint.

We are asking that you please remove the allegedly infringing content in
your blog. If you do not do this in the next 7 days we will be forced to
remove the post in question. If we did not do so, we would be subject to
a claim of copyright infringement, regardless of its merits.

We can reinstate this content into your blog upon receipt of a counter
notification pursuant to sections 512(g)(2) and 3) of
the DMCA. For more information about the requirements of a counter
notification, and a link to a sample counter notification, see
http://google.com/dmca.html.

If you have legal questions about this notification, you should retain
your own legal counsel. If you have any other questions about this
notification, please let us know.

Thanks very much for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Blogger Support

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home