Maddy's Rant

Vacuous, vivid, vivacious, aphrodisiac, simulating, rapid, ravenous

Name:
Location: Bellevue, WA, United States

Come and sit with me my friend, I promise to show you the world beyond your wildest imagination.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Usage of semicolon

I have never used semicolons in any of my technical and non-technical writing so far. Probably, today I felt the urge to know about its importance. After some Internet digging, I found usage of semi-colon can be summarized by three points.

(i) Seperate two independent yet closely related clauses.
My first day in army was nerve-breaking; the colonel seem to observe every move that I make.

(ii) two clauses seperated by a conjunction
It seems I'm running late; perhaps I have to go now.

(iii) Seperate semicolon when items in a series contain commas
She had lived in Mumbai,India; Colombo, Srilanka; and Canberra, Australia.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeevan said...

I will use semicolon very rare.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Truly Yours said...

Not just you, we all do.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Truly Yours said...

Not just you, we all do.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home